FOUNDATION AND HISTORY OF THE ATHENS UNIVERSITY OF ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS
Former Rectors and Vice Rectors 1935-2015
BRIEF HISTORICAL OVERVIEW OF THE ATHENS UNIVERSITY OF ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS
The University’s history can be traced back to 1903, when the great national benefactor Grigorios Maraslis donated 250,000 gold drachmas to establish in Athens a “... Merchant Academy analogous to similar academies in operation abroad".
The history of the University can be categorized in four periods: a) from 1919 to 1950; b) from 1950 to 1970; c) from 1970 to 1990; and d) from 1990 to date.
The most important moments during this period are the following:
1919: Greek PM Eleftherios Venizelos invites University of Lausanne Professor Georges Paillard to Greece, to lead an Organization that will establish and operate a Higher School of Commerce according to the model of the corresponding School of the University of Lausanne.
1920: Law 2191/18-6-1920, which establishes a "Higher School of Commercial Sciences" in Athens, is published based on Paillard’s proposal. From the moment of its foundation, the School is a Higher Education Institution and temporarily establishes itself in the building where the Rousopoulos Commercial and Industrial Academy was housed, in Kaniggos Square.
1922: Construction to house the School is completed. The new building is located at Vasilissis Sofias Avenue, where the Hippocratic Hospital is located today. However, the completion of construction coincides with the Asia Minor Catastrophe, a national disaster, and the new building is used as a refugee hospital.
1926: Societal and scientific changes, as well as the changing needs of the national economy, lead to a reorientation of the curriculum. Thus, the Higher School of Commercial Studies is renamed to “Higher School of Economics and Commercial Sciences”, widely known in Greece and abroad by the acronym “ASOEE”. This change takes place through the issuance of Law May 5/17, 1926, Government Gazette 156, issue A'.
1928: The School, by Presidential Decree dated 12/12/1928, acquires the following units:
• Applied Office of Accounting and Banking
• Merchant Laboratory and Museum
• Economic Research Office
• Comparative Law Office
1930: Land is granted by the Greek State in Athens, at 76 Patission Street, for the construction of a building that will meet the needs of the School. This area is given to the University in return for the non-assignment of the building at Vassilissis Sofias Avenue, where the Hippocratic Hospital is permanently housed.
1935: By Law dated 19/11/1935 the School is housed at the 76 Patission Street building, which was constructed with resources from Marasli’s donation. It is worth mentioning that the competent State agencies at the time considered it a luxury to build "such a large building for the needs of a school whose number of students does not exceed 450, and can accommodate "up to 1000 students".
1939: By Law 1622/1939, the School falls under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education. In the same year, by Law 2007/1939, ASOEE is recognized as equivalent to the University of Athens and the National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), and is hierarchically placed immediately below the latter.
1942: By Law 954/1942 the academic accreditation of the School is completed. Also, by Law 1894/1942, the School Health Services and a Fund for destitute students are established.
1943: By Presidential Decree 2091/1943 the Department of Physical Education is established.
THE PERIOD 1950-1970
The post-war period is a bleak time for the Greek people, and Greece’s infrastructures are ruined. Under these circumstances, there is a need for choosing an appropriate economic growth model for the country and financial planning for the future. These pivotal events lead to new changes in the University.
1955: Under the new regulations of Presidential Decree 3401/55, the duration of study at the School is increased from three to four years; in the fourth year, studies are divided into two streams: Economics and Commercial Sciences. Studies are thus separated into two cycles set in the framework of a single degree. New regular teaching posts are also created and new courses are added to the curriculum.
1956: The Patission Street building can no longer meet the growing needs of the School, which now serves close to 4.000 students. The School thus acquires property adjacent to its existing building. At the same time, additions are made to the main building, aiming at the creation of extra space. These expansion works are completed during 1956-57, adding a large Ceremony Hall and two classrooms of 220 seats each to the main building’s capacity.
1961: The growing need for skilled staff in the job market results in the establishment of an “Institute of Business Administrative Training” under Law 505/3/8/1961. The new Institute admits ASOEE graduates as well as other University graduates, from Greece and abroad. Its goal is to train specialized senior executives in Business Administration. Courses take place from 1961 onwards to 1974-75, while submissions of projects are accepted until September 1984.
Political developments in Greece, and the country’s integration into the European Economic Community, create the need for extroversion in education. By closely examining the new environment, the University adapts by expanding its horizons internationally and abandoning its domestic model of operation.
1970: As the fields of Economics and Administrative Sciences grow rapidly internationally, ASOEE responds with Law 688/1970. Under the Law’s new stipulations, new teaching posts are being established, while a radical restructuring is under way with regards to the curriculum. Equally important is the renaming of the Commercial Department to Department of Business Administration.
1973: By Presidential Decree 359/1973, the framework is set for the School to offer postgraduate studies based on the Anglo-Saxon model.
1978: Graduate studies, leading to a two-year Master’s degree and a PhD degree (with a duration of two years also), are organized for the first time by the Department of Economics (Government Gazette 499/ Issue B’/30-5-1978).
1980: An extensive review of all curricula is carried out and, with the approval of new programs the separation of Economic Cciences from Administrative and Commercial Sciences is completed, this constituting a trend, which began to appear in 1955. ASOEE is essentially transformed into two Schools that award a single, unified degree until 1984.
1982: On the initiative of the wife of the late Professor Georgios Halkiopoulos, the Georgios Halkiopoulos Foundation (Government Gazette 136/01-03-1982, 'B') is founded, initially aiming at awarding scholarships to Economic Science students who distinguish each year for their performance and character. Since 1987 these scholarships are also awarded to students of other Departments.
1983: ASOEE’s Research Center (“ELKE”) is established, by decision of the School’s General Assembly on March 2, 1983 according to Presidential Decree 432/81 titled "On the establishment of Special Accounts for the utilization of funds for the execution of research works in Higher Education Institutions of the country", which was amended and extended by the Joint Ministerial Decree No. B1/819/ 20.12.1988 (Government Gazette B 920/21.12.1988) and subsequently by Joint Ministerial Decision no. 679/22.8.1996 (Government Gazette B 826/10.9.1996), which was ratified retroactively by article 36 of Law 3794/2009 and amended by article 36 of Law 3848/2010. The purpose of ELKE is to allocate and manage funds intended to cover expenses necessary for the needs of research, education, training, development projects, the drafting of special studies, the provision of opinions or activities contributing to linking education and training research with production.
1984: An important milestone for ASOEE is the publication of Presidential Decree 313/1984, which is issued pursuant to the provisions of Law 1268/1982. This decree divides the School into three autonomous Departments: The Department of Economics, the Department of Business Administration and the Department of Statistics and Informatics. With the establishment of the Department of Statistics and Informatics, ASOEE’s research scope, which now comprises three Schools, significantly expands.
1985: The Master’s program in Business Administration by the Department of Business Administration is founded (Government Gazette 58/Issue B’/7-2-1984).
1989: According to Presidential Decree 377/1989, ASOEE is renamed to Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB). The University now includes the following six departments:
• Department of Economics
• Department of Business Administration
• Department of Applied Informatics
• Statistics Department
• Department of International and European Economic Studies
• Department of Business Administration and Marketing
The University’s new Computing Center, one of the most modern in the country, is housed on the 3rd floor of AUEB’s Derigni Building.
The Athens University of Economics and Business, which is established as one of the most esteemed institutions in Greece, continues to grow, making important advances in both the educational and the logistical level. Keeping up with the spirit of the times and the technological advancements and having excellence, innovation, extroversion and social contribution as its constant pillars, the University is transforming into a significant hub in Education.
1991: Construction of the Antoniadou Building begins.
1992: By decision of the Senate of the Athens University of Economics and Business on 27-3-1992, the Student Employment and Alumni Careers Office, which is later renamed to Career Office, come into operation. The main mission of the Office is to help students and AUEB graduates join the labor market, as well as to guide them in the pursuit of postgraduate studies.
Per Ministerial Decision F151/Β3/1082/13-3-92, the Department of Business Administration and Marketing is renamed to Department of Operational Research and Marketing.
1993: Law 2083/92 reconstitutes the two pre-existing Postgraduate Studies Programs and, together with other three programs, graduate studies in the University are reorganized on a new base. The Graduate Study Programs are as follows:
• Postgraduate Program of the Department of Economic Science (Official Gazette 870 / 26-11-93, issue B)
• Postgraduate Program of the Department of International and European Economic Studies (Government Gazette 964/31-12-93, issue B)
• Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Program of the Departments of Business Administration and Operations Research and Marketing (Government Gazette 965/31-12-93, issue B)
• Postgraduate Program of the Department of Informatics (Government Gazette 964/31-12-93, issue B)
• Postgraduate Program of the Department of Statistics (Government Gazette 526/6-7-94, issue B)
1995: The inaugurations of the new building on Antoniadou Street and the Postgraduate Studies Center, which include classrooms and a computer lab, take place.
The “Institute of Statistics, Documentation, Analysis and Research”, established by the Department of Statistics (Government Gazette 246/24-11-95), is founded. Its purpose is to inform Greek society on the necessity of using statistical methods for a more scientific approach of the problems it encounters.
The Center for Continuing Education and Vocational Training (KEK) is established. Its purpose is to offer theoretical and practical training, as well as professional training, to employees so that they better meet the changing requirements of the national economy, as executives of companies and organizations as well as freelancers. Training programs offered by the Center are primarily aimed at holders of tertiary education qualifications with relevant professional experience.
The University creates an integrated voice and data network infrastructure. To support the services provided as well as its user base, the AUEB Network Operation Center is established.
1996: The following Research Laboratories are established in the Department of Informatics:
• Laboratory of Information Systems and Databases (Government Gazette Α8/18-1-1996)
• Laboratory of Artificial Intelligence and Decision Support Systems (Government Gazette A8 /18-1-1996)
• Laboratory of Computer Systems and Communications (Government Gazette Α8 /18-1-1996)
The Company for the Exploitation and Management of the Property of the Athens University of Economics and Business comes into operation, established by a Senate decision pursuant to article 3 par. 7 of Law 1268/1982, and Presidential Decree. 478/1993. Its purpose is to manage and exploit the property of the Athens University of Economics and Business.
According to the Presidential Decree of 14 June 1996 (Government Gazette B494/25.6.1996), the Eleftherios Venizelos Foundation of European Studies is created by professors of the Athens University of Economics and Business, the University of Athens along with the participation of other notable academics. The aim of the Foundation is to promote education, research and information on European issues, particularly those relating to European integration, in conjunction with initiatives and actions that promote Greece's position in the context of bilateral, European and international relations.
1998: The following Master Programs come into operation for the first time:
• Master’s Program in Marketing and Communication with New Technologies, Full and Part-time Teaching (Government Gazette 628 /Issue Β '/23-06-1998)
• Master’s Program in Financial Banking for Executives (Government Gazette 1132/Issue B’/29-10-1998)
• Master’s Program in Business Administration for Executives (Government Gazette 1085 /Issue B’/16-10-1998)
Since 1998-99, the following University-wide Masters’ Programs start operating:
• Master’s Program in Business Mathematics, in collaboration with the Department of Mathematics and Economics of the University of Athens (Government Gazette 1190/Issue B '/ 19-11-1998)
• Interuniversity/Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Program in Business Administration, in collaboration with the Athens MBA (Government Gazette 1239/Issue B’/08-12 /1998)
• Postgraduate Program in the Organization and Management of Health Services - Health Informatics, in collaboration with various Departments of the Universities of Athens, Thessaloniki, Ioannina and Piraeus (Government Gazette 1085/Issue B '/16-10-1998)
• Interuniversity/Interdisciplinary Postgraduate Program in Basic and Applied Cognitive Science, in collaboration with the Department of Methodology, History and Theory of Science, the Department of Philosophy, Pedagogy & Psychology and the Department of Informatics of the University of Athens (Government Gazette 1073/14-10-1998)
The following Research Laboratories are also established:
• Multimedia Communication Laboratory (Government Gazette A 174/24-7-98)
• Distance Learning, Virtual Reality and Multimedia Laboratory (Government Gazette A 174 /24-7-98)
• Accounting Laboratory of the Department of Business Administration (Government Gazette A 174/24-7-98)
1999: The Department of Accounting and Finance comes into operation. (Government Gazette 179/A/6-9-1999)
The Master’s program in Decision Science Studies (Full Time and Part-time) program commences (Government Gazette 1151/Issue B’/03-11-1998).
The Center for Cultural Information and Study is established as part of the Library, complementing the Library’s services in the field of science and culture.
The AUEB eLearning Center commences operations.
2000: The construction of the AUEB Center for Graduate Studies is completed at the intersection of Lefkadas and Evelpidos Streets. Master’s programs now take place at the premises of the newly founded Center.
The Department of Management Science and Technology is founded. The Accounting Laboratory of the Department of Business Administration is renamed to Business Administration Laboratory (Government Gazette B 1130 / 11.09.2000).
In the context of integrating new teaching technologies, the Athens University of Economics and Business, in collaboration with the National Technical University of Athens and the University of Athens, implements the first Virtual Teaching Room, which is at the time the most modern eLearning platform: equipped with contemporary equipment and special study rooms, it fully supports the actions of both trainer and trainees who co-exist virtually in the same physical space.
2001: The Internal Regulation of the University is drafted and ratified following a decision by the Senate’s 16th meeting on 18-05-2001.
The following research laboratories are established:
• Econometrics Laboratory (Government Gazette 25/12-02-2001, Issue A’, Presidential Decree 27/2001)
• Economic Policy Laboratory (Government Gazette 25 / 12-02-2001, Issue A’, Presidential Decree 27/2001)
• Laboratory of Business Informatics (Government Gazette A'250/22-10-2001)
• Marketing Laboratory (Official Gazette of the Republic of Cyprus 148/05-07-2001)
• Financial Applications Laboratory (Government Gazette 66/06-04-2001)
• Laboratory of Accounting Applications (Government Gazette 66/06-04-2001)
• Laboratory of Management Science (MSL) (Government Gazette 18 /07-08-2001)
• Electronic Commerce and e-Βusiness (ELTRUN) Laboratory (Government Gazette 181/07-08-2001)
2002: The Department of Business Research and Marketing is renamed to the Department of Marketing and Communication (Government Gazette 152, Issue A., June 28, 2002). The Department’s curriculum comprises three streams: Marketing, Communication and a mixed stream.
2003: The following Postgraduate Study Programs come into operation:
• Postgraduate Diploma in European Studies for Business and Organization Executives (Government Gazette 1281/Issue Β '/02-10-2002)
• Master’s Program in Human Resource Management, full and part-time (Government Gazette 1196 /Issue Β '/26-08-2003)
• Master’s Program in Computer Science (Government Gazette 1018 /Issue B’/24-07-2003)
• Master’s Program in Services Management, full and part-time (Government Gazette 1057 /Issue B'/30-07-2003)
The following research laboratories are also established:
• European Affairs Monitoring and Analysis Laboratory (EUROLAB) (Government Gazette A '13/ 23-01-2003)
• Statistical Methodology and Data Analysis Laboratory (Government Gazette 2000/31-12-2003)
The Distance Learning, Virtual Reality and Multimedia Laboratory (Government Gazette A.174/24-07-98) is renamed to Information Systems and Databases Laboratory (Government Gazette 346/26-3-2003), while the Laboratory of Artificial Intelligence and Decision Support Systems (Government Gazette 8 / 18-01-1996) is renamed to Theory, Economics and Systems Laboratory (Government Gazette B346/26-3-2003)
2004: The following Postgraduate Study Programs come into operation:
• Master’s Program in Applied Economics and Finance for Executives, part-time (Government Gazette Issue 51/Issue Β '/19-01-2004)
• Master’s Program in Accounting and Finance, full and part-time (Government Gazette 383/Issue Β '/25-02-2004)
2004-2006: Cultural activities of AUEB’s Student Club are further expanded by the creation of a Photography and Modern Dance Group (2004), the Self-Defense Martial Arts Group (2005) and the Debating Society (2006).
2005: In the context of AUEB’s Company for Property Exploitation and Management, the University’s own printing House comes into operation (8th Senate meeting 21-4-2005).
2008: AUEB reinforces its basic research by establishing the Basic Research Enhancement Program in accordance with a Senate decision of 17 September 2008, with the main objective of strengthening the research activity and contribution of AUEB academics.
In the presence of the President of the Hellenic Republic, Karolos Papoulias and Chinese President Hu Jintao, an agreement is signed in Beijing for the establishment of the Confucius Institute of Athens at the Athens University of Economics and Business, which begins to operate in 2009. The Confucius Institute develops cultural and educational partnerships with other countries and helps disseminate the Chinese language and culture in Greece.
The Indian Government awards a Chair for International Entrepreneurship at AUEB. This the first time that an Indian government financially supports a Chair at a Greek Institution. The Chair operates fully in 2010.
A new Master’s Program in Public Policy and Management (Government Gazette 1757/Issue Β '/25-08-2009) is approved.
The Master’s Program in Accounting and Finance (full-time) is also offered in the English language (Government Gazette 1789/Issue Β '/27-08-2009).
Per decision of the 9th Meeting of the AUEB Rectorial Council (3-2-2009), and following authorization by the Senate's Special Composition (session 20-6-2008), the Quality Assurance Unit (QAU) of the Athens University of Economics and Business is founded. AUEB’s QAU is responsible for ensuring and continuously improving the quality of teaching and research at the University, as well as for the efficient operation and performance of its services in accordance with international practices, especially those of the European Higher Education, and the principles and guidelines of the Hellenic Quality Assurance and Accreditation Agency.
The e-class service platform, which is hosted on the University's website, provides students with direct information about the curriculum, teaching, examinations, and enables them to contact their Department's Secretariat with various requests.
The Employment and Career Center (DASTA AUEB) is created to coordinate the actions and services of the University with regards to promoting employment and career opportunities for students and graduates. The following three sub-units operate under DASTA:
• The Liaison Office improves job prospects for AUEB students and alumni by bringing them into contact with the labor market
• The Internship Office promotes the employment of students during their study program
• The Innovation and Entrepreneurship Unit supports the business ideas of students and graduates, and promotes entrepreneurship and innovation as an alternative professional career choice.
2013: According to Presidential Decree 78/2013 titled "Establishment - Establishment of Schools at the Athens University of Economics and Business" (A '119) the following Schools are founded:
School of Economic Sciences, which comprises of the following Departments:
• Department of International & European Economic Studies
• Department of Economics
School of Business, which comprises of the following Departments:
• Department of Management Science & Technology
• Department of Business Administration
• Department of Accounting and Finance
• Department Marketing and Communication
School of Information Sciences and Technology, which comprises of the following Departments:
• Department of Informatics
• Department of Statistics
2014: The internationally oriented MSc in Management Science and Technology program (full and part-time) of the Department of Management Science and Technology commences operation (Government Gazette 3430/22- 12-2014).
The Master’s program in Business Analytics (full and part-time), offered by the Department of Management, Science and Technology of the School of Business Administration, is approved (Government Gazette 1949/18-07-2014) and operates its first intake.
2015: The construction of a new, privately owned building at the nearby junction of Troias, Spetses and Kimolou Streets begins with a total area of 6,000 sqm to cover its growing needs of space.
The international MSc in International Shipping, Finance and Management (full and part-time), offered by the Departments of Accounting and Finance and the Department of Management Science and Technology and Administrative Science and Technology School of Business Administration, is approved (Government Gazette 814/07-05-2015) and operates for the first time.
The international MSc in Data Science (full-time and part-time), offered by the Department of Informatics, is approved (Government Gazette 1624/03-08-2015) and operates for the first time. The program offers the possibility of following lectures in the Greek language as well.
2016: The following Research Laboratories are established:
• Laboratory of International Economic Relations (LINER) (Government Gazette B 3869-02.12.2016)
• Laboratory on Research on Socio-Economic and Environmental Sustainability (ReSEES) (Government Gazette B 4018-15.12.2016)
• Business Analytics Laboratory (Government Gazette B 3869-02.12.2016)
• Market Analysis and Consumer Behavior Lab (“Agora”) (Government Gazette B 3966-12.12.2016)
• Laboratory of Business Strategy (LBS) (Government Gazette B 3966-12.12.2016)
• Human Resource Management Lab (HRM) (Government Gazette B 4059-19.12.2016)
• Network Multimedia and Mobile Multimedia Lab (Government Gazette B 3702 - 16.11.2016)
The internal regulations of the e-Commerce and Electronic Business Laboratory (ELTRUN) (Government Gazette B 4078 - 20.12.2016) and the Management Science Laboratory (MSL) (Government Gazette B 3966-12.12.2016) are modified.
The e-learning Program of the University (Senate Decision 2/11-02-2016) is founded. The aim of the program is to increase access to knowledge, improve skills and competence, and develop new skills for workers, the unemployed, secondary school graduates, students and graduates without requiring physical presence.
2017: The inauguration of the new building of the Athens University of Economics and Business at the center of Athens, on the junction of Troias, Spetson and Kimolos Streets, is attended by H.E. the President of the Hellenic Republic, Mr Prokopios Pavlopoulos. The building, with a total area of 6,000 sq. meters consists of lecture rooms, offices, meeting rooms, laboratories, reading rooms and storage space.
The following Research Laboratories are established:
• Financial Technologies Laboratory (FinTechLab) (Government Gazette B 1375-24.04.2017)
• International Shipping, Finance and Management Laboratory (Government Gazette B 1375-24.04.2017)
• Economic Growth and Social Policy Laboratory (Government Gazette B 1077-29.03.2017)
• Management of Information Systems and Technologies Laboratory (ISTLab) (Government Gazette B 1375-24.04.2017)
• Management, Strategy and Entrepreneurship Laboratory (Government Gazette B 1375-24.04.2017)
• Interdisciplinary Laboratory in Accounting Studies, Financial Management and Economic and Financial Law (Government Gazette B 1006-24.03.2017)
• Business Analysis and Valuation Laboratory (Government Gazette B 773-13.03.2017)
• Behavioral Finance (BeFin) Laboratory (Government Gazette B 1002-24.03.2017)
• Stochastic Modeling and Applications Laboratory (Government Gazette B 1002-24.03.2017)
• Computational and Bayesian Statistics Laboratory (Government Gazette B 1002-24.03.2017)
The Multimedia Communication Research Laboratory (Government Gazette A 174/24.07.1998) is renamed to Business Communication Lab (Government Gazette B 580/24.02.2017), while the Statistical Methodology and Data Analysis Research Lab (Government Gazette B 2000/31.12.2003) is renamed to Laboratory of Statistical Methodology (Government Gazette B 984/23.03.2017).
The following Educational Laboratories are established:
• Educational Laboratory of the School of Economic Sciences (EconLab) (Government Gazette B 2448/19.07.2017)
• Educational Laboratory of Computer Science (CSLab) (Government Gazette B 2448/19.07.2017)
• Educational Laboratory of Applied Statistics, Probability and Data Analysis (Government Gazette B 1643/15.05.2017)
• Educational Laboratory of Management Science and Technology (Government Gazette B 2632/27.07.2017)
• Educational Laboratory of Business Administration and Marketing (Government Gazette B 2632/27.07.2017)
• Educational Accounting and Finance Laboratory (Government Gazette B 2632/27.07.2017)
Presently, Athens University of Economics and Business continues to thrive by closely monitoring and adapting to the latest trends in education, loyal to its history.