Associate Professor Dr. Phoebe Koundouri holds a PhD (2000), MSc (1996) and MPhil (1995) in Economics from the University of Cambridge (UK) and a BA (1994) in Economics from the University of Leicester (UK). She is Associate Professor at the Department of International and European Economic Studies, Athens University of Economics and Business (Greece), since 2012, and the Director of the Research tEam on Socio-Economic and Environmental Sustainability (RESEES) (RESEES, http://www.aueb.gr/users/koundouri/resees/), since 2010. She is also Senior Research Fellow at the London School of Economics and Political Science, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment, UK (http://www2.lse.ac.uk/GranthamInstitute/). Before, she was College Lecturer at the University of Cambridge, UK (1996-1999); Lecturer at the Economics Department of the University College London, UK (1999-2000); Lecturer B (with tenure) at the Economics Department of the University of Reading, UK (2000-2005); Assistant Professor (2005-2009) and tenured Assistant Professor (2009-2012) at the Department of International and European Economic Studies, Athens University of Economics and Business. During 1995-2005, she was affiliated researcher with: University of Cambridge, University College London, London Business School, and University of Cyprus. She was a visiting Professor at the Universite Toulouse 1 Sciences Sociales (France), The Cyprus Institute (Cyprus) and the Open University of Cyprus.
Her main research interests are: Environmental and Natural Resources Economics and Econometrics; Economic Sustainability, Long-Run Cost-Benefit Analysis and Discounting; Non-market (public good) Valuation; Agricultural Economics and Finance; Interdisciplinary Approaches to Natural Resources Management and Policy; Econometric Methods: Time Series, Cross-Section, Panel, Parammetric/Non-parametric; Philosophy of science applied to economics (general), econometrics and environmental and resource economics. She has published 10 edited books and 115 articles in edited volumes and academic journals (including leading journals such as: Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, The American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Oxford Economic Papers, Journal of Applied Econometrics, Economic Policy, Land Economics, Ecological Economics, Environmental and Resource Economics, Southern Economic Journal, Water Resources Research, Environmental Science and Technology, etc.). She has also presented more than 130 papers in scientific conferences and workshops (published in relevant proceedings). She is ranked among the top 5% authors in IDEAS: http://ideas.repec.org/e/c/pko155.html according to the criteria of distinct number of works. She is a highly cited author in her scientific field (Harzing's Publish or Perish: more than 1200; Google Scholar Search Engine: more than 1250, http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=BIczbp4AAAAJ; General Google Scholar Search Engine: more than 43,900 hits, etc) and associate editor and editorial board member in 12 leading academic journals, including Environment and Resource Economics, Economics-ejournal, Environmental Science and Technology, Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies, Journal of Environmental Economics and Policy, Water Resources and Economics, and Environment and Development Economics (2005-2010). Moreover, she has supervised a number of PhD students, all of them now working in academia as post-doc researchers, lecturers and assistant professors.
In 2012 Phoebe Koundouri was elected Council Member of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (EAERE,www.eaere.org) and she is currently the EAERE Newsletter Editor (www.eaere.org/newsletter.html). She is also Core Member of the Scientific Committee of the John S. Latsis Public Benefit Foundation (www.latsis-foundation.org/en/102/projects_2012_-_scientific_evaluation_committee.html) Over the last two decades Phoebe Koundouri has given public and academic lecturers all over the world, and received scholarships and prizes for academic excellence from various academic institutions and foundations. She is included in various Who's Who and she has recently (in 2012) received the 2009 Publication Award of the European Association of Agricultural Economists (http://www.eaere.org/).
Phoebe Koundouri has coordinated and/or participated in more than 40 research projects on natural resources management issues funded by the European Commission (mainly DG Research and DG Environment), the World Bank, OECD, European Bank of Reconstruction and Development, UN, NATO, WHO as well as many other international and national organizations and governments of developed and developing countries. Moreover, she has organized a number of international conferences mainly in the field of water resource economics and management.
Phoebe Koundouri was born in Cyprus in 1974. She is married to Prof. Nikitas Pittis. They have two daughters, Chrysilia and Bellie, and live in Kifisia, Athens.
Link 1: Homepage AUEB
Link 2: Homepage DIEES
Link 3: Page at Google Scholar
Link 4: Page at IDEAS
RESEES:Research tEam on Socio-Economic and
Athens University of Economics and Business
Director of RESEES: Associate Professor Dr Phoebe Koundouri
RESEES MISSION STATEMENT:
RESEES does theoretical and empirical research that supports the understanding and implementation of Sustainable (Green) Development (SD). SD is a pattern of resource use that aims to meet human needs while preserving the environment so that these needs can be met not only in the present, but also for future generations. We perceive SD to mean the achievement of: (a) Environmental/ Ecological Sustainability and (b) Socio-Economic Sustainability.
RESEES MAIN RESEARCH AREAS:
1. Natural Resources (Renewable and Non-Renewable) Economics and Econometrics:Resources: Inland water (surface and groundwater) resources; Fisheries, aquaculture and oceans resources; Forest resources; Energy (renewable) sources; Biodiversity and ecosystem service (Ecological Economics); Land use; Recreational aspects of natural resources; Air. Pollution: Air Pollution; Water Pollution; Noise; Waste. Climate Change (and intergenerational issues).
2. Long-Run Discounting, Economic Sustainability and Long-Run Cost-Benefit Analysis.
3. Uncertainty, Risk and Irreversibility, Natural Disasters.
4. Benefit Valuation: Choice Modeling, Contingent Valuation, Hedonic Pricing, Travel Cost, Benefit Transfer, Cost-Benefit Analysis.
5. Behavioral and Social Aspects: Experimental Economics, Consumption and Demand, Distributional Aspects.
6. Production and the Environment: Production/Cost Function; Micro-Econometrics, Production Technology Adoption and Diffusion;Processes, Production Under Uncertainty and Risk Preference Estimation.
7. Agricultural Economics: Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets; Agricultural Finance; Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment; R&D and Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services; Agricultural Policy; Food Policy.
8. Regulation and Instruments: Price-based MBI, Quantity-based MBI, Voluntary Approaches, Externalities, Other Market Failures.
9. Game Theory and the Environment.
10. Health and the Environment.
11. Interdisciplinary Approaches to Natural Resources Management and Policy.
12. Philosophy of science applied to economics (general), econometrics and environmental and resource economics.
13. Econometric Methods: Time Series, Cross-Section, Panel, Parammetric/Non-parametric.
RESEES PAST AND ONGOING PROJECTS (Projects link)
RESEES COLLABORATORS (Collaborators link)
RESEES PUBLICATIONS (Publications link)
Site Construction: Dr Antypas Antonios.
Report website issues at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com